Skip to main content

His countenance is one of Peace: the Father and the Son

Then Jesus cried aloud: 
'Whoever believes in me believes not in me but in him who sent me.
And whoever sees me sees him who sent me'.

This reading presents to us the inter-dependence of the Father and the Son. Glory as I reflected in my last post, is what God does for us in love and here Jesus tells us what he does for us is on behalf of the Father: they work together, not alone. Jesus is a reflection of the Father, if we see Him we see the Father. Devotion to Jesus – looking upon Him through icons, through reading Scripture, in worship, in sharing in the Eucharist draws us into relationship with the Father, because through Jesus we see the Father. Sacraments exist because Jesus tells us that if we look on Him we see the Father ––sacraments always refer to Christ – to his action in the world, and they enable us to enter fully into the relationship that exists between the Father and the Son.


I do not judge anyone who hears my words and does not keep them, 
for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.

It is remarkable that Jesus says that he comes not to judge the world. We have reflected this week on the meaning of betrayal but Jesus never makes betrayal the main narrative. The main narrative, the God-story is love in Christ; our actions, our sin, are not the main story. This is important because we might be tempted to be drawn into the story of sin, especially if we have been wounded or hurt. People who experience terrible abuse or trauma, will be tempted to remain in that narrative, to let that define them and ultimately I’m afraid it may destroy them. Indeed people who have been hurt very little also might enjoy styling themselves as victims so that they can feel justified in themselves in attacking and blaming others. Or, we might be tempted to remain in the narrative of what we’ve done to others. We might be unable to turn to the Cross in repentance, or unable to believe that we are forgiven. 

But, the good news is that the story we are called to listen to this week, is Christ’s story: he says – ‘I have come as light into the world, so that everyone who believes in me should not remain in the darkness’. Christ comes for us – on behalf of the Father. He comes to us not as judge but as redeemer. This is the resurrection hope and it is truly remarkable, truly glorious. Keeping our faces turned towards Christ and what he has done for us should draw us away from everything that might otherwise lead us to despair.

The one who rejects me and does not receive my word has a judge; on the last day the word that I have spoken will serve as judge, for I have not spoken on my own, but the Father who sent me has himself given me a commandment about what to say and what to speak.

Jesus de-personalises judgment here – he does not come to accuse, but his Words have life and truth in them. He speaks what the Father has given Him, and he speaks in love. The words will stand on their own in the last day, but we can be sure that Jesus is not the accuser - he cannot stand in a position of hatred or accusation towards anyone, as his countenance is one of peace. It is in this sense that we are able to call him friend. In a similar way, we know that we shouldn’t judge others, and we know how hard that is, but we should speak the words that Christ has given us from the Father, and if we are immersed in those words, if they feed us and renew us I’m sure we’ll find that neither can we accuse others. We are called to forgive them in love; the love that Christ has shown us from the Father.

The Father gives of Himself; relationship with God means a sharing in his glory, as we’ve seen and a sharing in His mission to the world. A little further on in John’s Gospel, Jesus says: 

Very truly, I tell you, the one who believes in me will also do the works that I do and, in fact, will do greater works than these, because I am going to the Father’ (14:12) 

God incorporates us and shares with us in his healing and reconciling ministry. What a vocation we are all invited to participate in! Jesus doesn’t point back to himself, but to the Father and what the Father will do in us. His actions are not the end but the beginning, the beginning of the new creation – the new kingdom, the kingdom of heaven. This is a life-giving, nurturing, empowering God. We may be tempted to look back to Christ as though if only we could reach into history and touch him then we will finally understand everything. But as Jesus leaves the world he looks forward, he looks to our future which we share with him and the Father. What a gift we are given! What a life that he leaves for us to live! It is wonderful! It is glorious! We are looking always to the future, our future in Christ, declaring what he has done and rejoicing in it.

John 12:44-50

Then Jesus cried aloud: ‘Whoever believes in me believes not in me but in him who sent me. 45And whoever sees me sees him who sent me. 46I have come as light into the world, so that everyone who believes in me should not remain in the darkness. 47I do not judge anyone who hears my words and does not keep them, for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world. 48The one who rejects me and does not receive my word has a judge; on the last day the word that I have spoken will serve as judge, 49for I have not spoken on my own, but the Father who sent me has himself given me a commandment about what to say and what to speak. 50And I know that his commandment is eternal life. What I speak, therefore, I speak just as the Father has told me.’


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Radical Story-telling?

Public Domain   The Flight into Egypt  File: Adam Elsheimer - Die Flucht nach Ägypten (Alte Pinakothek) 2.jpg Created: 31 December 1608 Which of the Gospel writers include an account of the birth of Jesus? When were they writing, for what audience? Mark’s Gospel is almost universally considered to be the earliest Gospel and it’s understood that both Matthew and Luke used it as a source text. But Mark has no account of the birth of Jesus, he begins with John the Baptist and Jesus’ baptism. Only Matthew and Luke have birth narratives and they are different whilst sharing some common features: Mary and Joseph are to be married and there’s a miraculous virgin birth in Bethlehem. But that’s about it. Jesus is born in a house in Matthew’s account whilst he is placed in a manger in Luke’s because there’s ‘no room at the inn’. Mary’s thoughts and feelings are not mentioned in Matthew at all, whilst from Luke we get the story of the Visitation, Annunciation and the wonderful radical

Silence

Lent Study Group One of my top 10 books of the last 10 years has to be: 'A Book of Silence' by Sara Maitland. I first heard Sara talk at Greenbelt many years ago and I was fascinated then by who she was - an eccentric woman, speaking with intensity and insight, offering an alternative and captivating viewpoint on the human experience. In this book she explores silence in all sorts of ways: by living on her own; by visiting the desert; through analysing the desert traditions within early Christianity; and through attending to what happens to the body and the mind in and through extended silence and isolation. Her book begins: I am sitting on the front doorstep of my little house with a cup of coffee, looking down the valley at my extraordinary view of nothing. It is wonderful. Virginia Woolf famously taught us that every woman writer needs a room of her own. She didn't know the half of it, in my opinion. I need a moor of my own. Or, as an exasperated but obvious

Rest in Christ

Girl in Hammock, Winslow Homer, 1873, from Wikipedia  This is a faithful photographic reproduction of a two-dimensional,  public domain  work of art. Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. I am not normally someone who finds it easy to rest or relax; I have a sense that that is true for many people! However, my son received a hammock for his 6 th birthday and it’s been enjoyed by the whole family. We are blessed by having some of the most fantastically beautiful trees in our garden, huge glorious trees, which at the moment, in their varying versions of green and burnt amber are an absolute delight to view from the hammock. Looking upwards from a horizontal position really enables you to breathe in their grandeur and awesomeness in an overwhelming way. Together with the gentle rocking, it really is an experience of paradise. I