Skip to main content

Invited by God


desk writing hand table blur wood vintage pen finger letter paper ink fountain pen art drawing handwriting composition calligraphy document hand lettering


Anyone who seeks to say that God exists and that they have something to say about God, or even for God, is walking a very fine line between insanity and megalomania: religions have fallen foul to both and still do.

With that in mind, how can I stand before you as a priest, a person who is meant to be a sign of God in the world? Am I mad or a psychopath?

And yet I stand here, and you are here too......

The most important thing I can say to you, is that I do, because of a sense that life is a mystery. That mystery of my existence and of yours isn’t easily located in all the other narratives that I hear and have heard through my life, about creation, purpose and meaning, or lack of it. Science and humanism offer us much, but not that. There’s a mystery at the heart of me that’s profoundly invitational – by which I mean, it invites me to believe that my existence isn’t just a matter of flesh and blood. And this mystery can be explored through the medium of poetry, art, music, the created world and through encounter with other humans. Most of all I find it makes most sense in this strange thing called Church or Christian community:

a gathering of people seeking to make meaning of their lives, in conversation with Jesus Christ and wisdom traditions

Jesus’ life and teaching are a profound exploration of the mystery of weakness, vulnerability, suffering and death. It neither solves any of them, nor explains them away, but Jesus invites us to believe that they are doorways to something else – to a deeper level of encounter, to a more profound expression of love, and to a more solid  experience of hope. And listening to the voice of Jesus, the true shepherd, means listening to a voice we can trust, a voice that opens doors rather than closes them.

A Christian community becomes more Christ-like when it is faithful to an honest and deep engagement with that voice. In order to listen we have to learn to be prayerful, to be contemplative, to be disciplined, to be silent. The answers we get can often surprise us, because the voice is a voice of otherness: a truth we have not generated ourselves, a purity that comes from elsewhere, a truth that is liberating and demanding.

Which is why for me Christian community should be profoundly invitational – come and see, come and explore, come and question, come and imagine, come and encounter!

I’ve tried to inspire those who have come to this church and still do with the power of that message – to know oneself to be invited and therefore to invite others. As though each of us got a personal letter from God this morning which landed on our doorstep. Which is why one of the things that makes me most frustrated is when we exclude, through all sorts of actions and decisions, or because of what we don’t do. I would like all people to experience the extraordinary invitation that God has given us in Christ Jesus – to be invited, welcome and rejoiced over: you are accepted, as you are, not a better version of yourself, but as you are.

If we’re going to be invitational, then there's a chain of actions that follow from the invitation. We have to be genuinely open to ‘the other’ – ‘the other’ in ourselves as much as ‘the other’ who is the stranger. We have to make friends with our dark or shadow sides, as much as we have to make friends with the stranger at the door: to see the good in what our shadows have to offer. We have to be willing to receive and to be open to new truths and most of all we have to be willing to suffer – to share in the pains and wounds of those who we sit alongside.  Opening ourselves to others means opening ourselves to a whole lot of stuff we’d perhaps rather avoid. That is a form of sacrifice, but also a gift, for as we learn to touch each other's wounds, then we learn as well to share in each other's joys. 

So one of the things that I hope and pray continues to happen here, is that the door remains wide open: the physical door of this building, but also just as importantly, the door of our hearts. 




Comments

  1. Thank you for posting this. Well worth reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well. I must admit that I struggle with this concept. Jesus spoke with certainty of God. I would say I know God exists however I would stop at saying I understand God, can tell you about God or can fully comprehend God, but I dont feel on a fine line just comfortable in my faith. How do I unpick myself from this position to a position of uncertainty?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please be respectful when posting comments

Popular posts from this blog

'I know why the caged bird sings'

When I was studying festivals and rituals in Renaissance Venice as a post-graduate, evocative paintings full of religious processions and miracles, one thing that struck me was how the public space was highly ritualised and controlled. Most of the time women were prevented from taking part in the public rituals and had to watch from their windows (see above). When they were out in public space, their appearance was strictly controlled.  'Being part of the governing structure of Venetian life, civic ritual was a male domain. A woman’s world was a distinctly smaller one than a man’s, while men made forays into the political and economic centres of the Piazza San Marco, the Rialto and further a field to the East in merchant galleys and the terraferma , women remained in small communities at home. Dennis Romano argues that a woman’s neighbourhood was the parish of her residence and perhaps one or two adjoining parishes, adding further that ‘generally speaking, men did not want t

Rest in Christ

Girl in Hammock, Winslow Homer, 1873, from Wikipedia  This is a faithful photographic reproduction of a two-dimensional,  public domain  work of art. Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. I am not normally someone who finds it easy to rest or relax; I have a sense that that is true for many people! However, my son received a hammock for his 6 th birthday and it’s been enjoyed by the whole family. We are blessed by having some of the most fantastically beautiful trees in our garden, huge glorious trees, which at the moment, in their varying versions of green and burnt amber are an absolute delight to view from the hammock. Looking upwards from a horizontal position really enables you to breathe in their grandeur and awesomeness in an overwhelming way. Together with the gentle rocking, it really is an experience of paradise. I

Addicted to Travel?

Road to Emmaus Luke 24.13-35 What has been the most significant journey that you have taken? Was it short, long, with friends, alone? The travellers on the Road to Emmaus were walking and a stranger appears alongside them. I was wondering how the story would have to be different if it were set today. Jesus' sudden appearance in a car, for instance, would have spoiled the slow build up of drama as they listened to this stranger! Someone suddenly appearing in your car is going to make you jump! But most of us don't usually walk seven miles just as part of our daily routines, let alone seven miles back again! That made me think about how we travel today and I had the  very uncomfortable and challenging thought that travelling in a car is a sin. Hmm. I didn't like that idea very much so I had a go at arguing with God about that one. I like the car: I go to Scotland in it for a holiday, or I visit my parents. These things bring me joy - I tried to push away the idea that