Skip to main content

Peter the Disciple and the God of Second Chances

Image result for st peter
St Peter, free on pixabay

I work at Chelmsford Cathedral as the newly installed Canon for Evangelism and Discipleship and what better model than St Peter when we're thinking about discipleship?

The first thing we learn from St Peter is that it’s normal to get things wrong, miss the point, not understand. Peter is so eager and keen as a disciple, but that doesn’t mean that he doesn’t make mistakes. The most profound and painful learning experience for Peter comes after Jesus’ arrest. Despite Peter’s enthusiasm, despite his confident claim that he will follow Jesus whatever the cost, he is found wanting at the time of trial.

The context for the passage from John’s Gospel that we are using (see below) is Peter’s threefold denial of Jesus after Jesus’ arrest. At three separate occasions and by different people Peter is recognised as one of Jesus’ followers and each time he denies that he is:

You are you not also one of this man’s disciples, are you?’ He denied it and said, ‘I am not’  
‘You are not also one of his disciples, are you?’ He denied it and said, ‘I am not’
‘Did I not see you in the garden with him?’ -  Again Peter denied it, and at that moment the cock crowed.

Peter denies Jesus as an act of self-preservation and in self-defence; it is only when he hears the cock crows that he realises just what he has done.

Then Peter remembered the word the Lord had spoken to him: "Before the rooster crows today, you will disown me three times." And he went outside and wept bitterly.

For Peter, the enthusiastic and committed disciple, this revelation of his own betrayal and weakness is deeply shocking and painful.

Our own betrayals of God can be just as sudden, un-thought through and devastating. None of us wakes up in the morning and thinks, how can I deny God today? Rather, what happens is that, as for Peter, in the course of our lives we find out that following God is challenging, difficult, involves sacrifice and real commitment. It is only then that we make those betrayals.

Perhaps it’s when we persuade ourselves that the Bible might say we should tithe, i.e. give 10% of all that we’ve been blessed with back to God, through our giving to church and charity,  but we decide that’s completely unrealistic, it couldn’t possibly be a rule for today: 1% or not even tithing at all, is perfectly justifiable. Or, perhaps there is a person that we see who is behaving badly, but rather than hold them before God in prayer we condemn and judge them. Or, we carry a grudge in our heart against another person and fail to forgive them, even though Jesus teaches us to forgive one another as he has forgiven us. Or, we work ridiculously long hours at work because we think that we are in control, and everything depends on us, rather than giving our labour and our rest to God. It is in these and in similar ways that day by day we betray Jesus: we turn the other way when they come for him; when he is arrested and bears the wounds of love and compassion, we lie to ourselves in the depths of our hearts.

The good news is, that so did Peter- St Peter, the rock from whom Jesus built his church.  Jesus gives us second chances, and third and fourth…  Jesus doesn’t give up on us – he doesn’t lose his hope in us. With Peter we see this relationship played out in a profound way:

Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?’ He said to him, ‘Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.’ Jesus said to him, ‘Feed my lambs. Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?’ He said to him, ‘Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.’ Jesus said to him, ‘Feed my lambs.

Jesus returns and asks Peter – a Peter who now knows and has seen the cost of discipleship - to re-affirm his love and commitment to him. The most wonderful good news about the resurrection is not only that Jesus comes back, but that he comes back not in anger and in judgment, but with words of peace, in order to reconcile and in order to restore us. Even more extraordinary still, Jesus, knowing how weak and prone to betrayal we are, still asks us to partner with him in building the church: ‘feed my sheep’ he says to the one who wouldn’t even admit to being his friend.

So, I wonder where you are in your relationship with God – where you are on your road of discipleship? Perhaps you are still unaware of the real cost of discipleship; perhaps you are just waking up to the ways in which you are denying Jesus in your every-day life; or perhaps you are ready to be asked again by Jesus: do you love me? And to hear the command: 'feed my lambs'. 



John 21:15-22

Jesus and Peter
When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, ‘Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?’ He said to him, ‘Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.’ Jesus said to him, ‘Feed my lambs.’ A second time he said to him, ‘Simon son of John, do you love me?’ He said to him, ‘Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.’ Jesus said to him, ‘Tend my sheep.’ He said to him the third time, ‘Simon son of John, do you love me?’ Peter felt hurt because he said to him the third time, ‘Do you love me?’ And he said to him, ‘Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.’ Jesus said to him, ‘Feed my sheep. Very truly, I tell you, when you were younger, you used to fasten your own belt and to go wherever you wished. But when you grow old, you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will fasten a belt around you and take you where you do not wish to go.’ (He said this to indicate the kind of death by which he would glorify God.) After this he said to him, ‘Follow me.’

Jesus and the Beloved Disciple
Peter turned and saw the disciple whom Jesus loved following them; he was the one who had reclined next to Jesus at the supper and had said, ‘Lord, who is it that is going to betray you?’ When Peter saw him, he said to Jesus, ‘Lord, what about him?’ Jesus said to him, ‘If it is my will that he remain until I come, what is that to you? Follow me!’




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rest in Christ

Girl in Hammock, Winslow Homer, 1873, from Wikipedia  This is a faithful photographic reproduction of a two-dimensional,  public domain  work of art. Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. I am not normally someone who finds it easy to rest or relax; I have a sense that that is true for many people! However, my son received a hammock for his 6 th birthday and it’s been enjoyed by the whole family. We are blessed by having some of the most fantastically beautiful trees in our garden, huge glorious trees, which at the moment, in their varying versions of green and burnt amber are an absolute delight to view from the hammock. Looking upwards from a horizontal position really enables you to breathe in their grandeur and awesomeness in an overwhelming way. Together with the gentle rocking, it really is an experience of paradise. I

'I know why the caged bird sings'

When I was studying festivals and rituals in Renaissance Venice as a post-graduate, evocative paintings full of religious processions and miracles, one thing that struck me was how the public space was highly ritualised and controlled. Most of the time women were prevented from taking part in the public rituals and had to watch from their windows (see above). When they were out in public space, their appearance was strictly controlled.  'Being part of the governing structure of Venetian life, civic ritual was a male domain. A woman’s world was a distinctly smaller one than a man’s, while men made forays into the political and economic centres of the Piazza San Marco, the Rialto and further a field to the East in merchant galleys and the terraferma , women remained in small communities at home. Dennis Romano argues that a woman’s neighbourhood was the parish of her residence and perhaps one or two adjoining parishes, adding further that ‘generally speaking, men did not want t

Addicted to Travel?

Road to Emmaus Luke 24.13-35 What has been the most significant journey that you have taken? Was it short, long, with friends, alone? The travellers on the Road to Emmaus were walking and a stranger appears alongside them. I was wondering how the story would have to be different if it were set today. Jesus' sudden appearance in a car, for instance, would have spoiled the slow build up of drama as they listened to this stranger! Someone suddenly appearing in your car is going to make you jump! But most of us don't usually walk seven miles just as part of our daily routines, let alone seven miles back again! That made me think about how we travel today and I had the  very uncomfortable and challenging thought that travelling in a car is a sin. Hmm. I didn't like that idea very much so I had a go at arguing with God about that one. I like the car: I go to Scotland in it for a holiday, or I visit my parents. These things bring me joy - I tried to push away the idea that