Skip to main content

Thought for the day - 'steps on the way to being compassionate'

This week one of my congregation members invited me to their place of work. It is not an invitation I get very often, but one that I will certainly be encouraging from others! Most people probably wonder what a Vicar gets up to all week, we are regularly greeted with the familiar: ‘but don’t you only work on Sunday’s’ jest – but I suppose that for most of us the working life of other people is pretty much a mystery. Perhaps you can reflect on your own working life experience for a moment – where has it taken you and what have your learnt?

The person I visited happened to work in engineering and he took me around the factory floor, meeting the people who worked there and showing me the things they were making. As someone with a mind completely unsuited to anything practical, I was amazed and awed at the things that other people can do.

It got me thinking about the way in which most of us have, in relative terms, quite a small frame of reference: we go to the same shops, the same place of work, see the same people etc. The things that we’re good at we keep on doing and far too little challenge ourselves to take on new skills or move outside our comfort zones. It’s a rare and valuable opportunity to have our horizons expanded and to encounter new things and this is despite the fact that we live in a technological age of advanced communication.

Expansion of the mind seems to me to have a spiritual and ethical dimension, for it can help us in our capacity to relate to and ultimately have compassion for others. And that is what is really important – taking the time to actually listen to another person and really see things from their point of view; whoever they are and wherever they come from.

Compassion is a key spiritual virtue, common to all the major faiths, and it’s fundamental to human well being. It could be described as the ability to step into another’s story for a while and walk alongside them; literally it means to suffer with another. Without any compassion in the world we would all be completely disconnected from each other, isolated individuals without hope of comfort.

So, my gentle nudge this week to myself and to you, is to ask: in what ways can my horizons be broadened this week, not from the safe comfort of the sofa, watching television, nor through the virtual experience of the smart phone or tablet, but through an actual encounter with a real person whose every day experiences are different from mine. Can I take the time to experience their world and can I learn to be more compassionate? In so doing I will have, in a small and real way, made the world a better place.














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rest in Christ

Girl in Hammock, Winslow Homer, 1873, from Wikipedia  This is a faithful photographic reproduction of a two-dimensional,  public domain  work of art. Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. I am not normally someone who finds it easy to rest or relax; I have a sense that that is true for many people! However, my son received a hammock for his 6 th birthday and it’s been enjoyed by the whole family. We are blessed by having some of the most fantastically beautiful trees in our garden, huge glorious trees, which at the moment, in their varying versions of green and burnt amber are an absolute delight to view from the hammock. Looking upwards from a horizontal position really enables you to breathe in their grandeur and awesomeness in an overwhelming way. Together with the gentle rocking, it really is an experience of paradise. I

'I know why the caged bird sings'

When I was studying festivals and rituals in Renaissance Venice as a post-graduate, evocative paintings full of religious processions and miracles, one thing that struck me was how the public space was highly ritualised and controlled. Most of the time women were prevented from taking part in the public rituals and had to watch from their windows (see above). When they were out in public space, their appearance was strictly controlled.  'Being part of the governing structure of Venetian life, civic ritual was a male domain. A woman’s world was a distinctly smaller one than a man’s, while men made forays into the political and economic centres of the Piazza San Marco, the Rialto and further a field to the East in merchant galleys and the terraferma , women remained in small communities at home. Dennis Romano argues that a woman’s neighbourhood was the parish of her residence and perhaps one or two adjoining parishes, adding further that ‘generally speaking, men did not want t

Addicted to Travel?

Road to Emmaus Luke 24.13-35 What has been the most significant journey that you have taken? Was it short, long, with friends, alone? The travellers on the Road to Emmaus were walking and a stranger appears alongside them. I was wondering how the story would have to be different if it were set today. Jesus' sudden appearance in a car, for instance, would have spoiled the slow build up of drama as they listened to this stranger! Someone suddenly appearing in your car is going to make you jump! But most of us don't usually walk seven miles just as part of our daily routines, let alone seven miles back again! That made me think about how we travel today and I had the  very uncomfortable and challenging thought that travelling in a car is a sin. Hmm. I didn't like that idea very much so I had a go at arguing with God about that one. I like the car: I go to Scotland in it for a holiday, or I visit my parents. These things bring me joy - I tried to push away the idea that